Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Farmer's Daughter

Years back, I wrote a song on a squeaky piano bench in small town Wisconsin. 

I had taken a long look at some 5 pronged fork in the road and decided to settle into the community there. The decision was neither without sacrifice or unimagined blessing. It seemed every time I came to an intersection over those years, eagerly anticipating a new avenue of exploration, I would be convicted to stay straight; straight and narrow and structured and seemingly so small. 

St. Augustine of Hippo was credited to have said, "The world is a book and those who don't travel read only a page." I love St. Augustine, books AND travel. I agree with him here. However, after having finally, at long last, begun to learn the art of 'being at home', I discovered a real problem with WANDERLUST.

Almost any way you spin it, lust is a strong armed master yanking the chain to our collars. It leads us to places whether or not they're the best for us, or the people in our lives. This kind of lust seems harmless enough because it is attached to a lot of other apparent goods but I've come to see anything with power to command me must be brought into self-control. 

Gratefully, during the years I wrestled with a desire to 'go' and felt the need to 'stay', I developed a deeper love. The week I left to travel, finally, I was able to track this song with my friend Joseph Szabo. It was one of the last songs I performed at my Arrividerci house show, among friends who feel like family, because that's what happens when you let your roots grow. 

Here it is: 

The Farmer's Daughter


Tips, tricks and tid-bits for the road

Joseph Szabo tracking at the studio 

Merch Debut @ Arrividerci Party via Kara Fay Gregory

Dillon Nickell Performing @ Arrividerci Party

Tahmi Prado performing @ Arrividerci Party 
Dillon, Tahmi & Yours Truly. 

 

Just a few notes for the journey <3 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment